Jackfruit Summer Roll (Vegan)
350 gram Fresh Jackfruit-peeled, destoned and julienne sliced
6 Vietnamese rice paper
2 Big garlic clove-finely chopped
200ml Vegetable stock
2 tbs Rapeseed oil
2 tbs Tamarind sauce
1 tbs Light soy sauce
1 tbs Dark soy sauce
1 tbs Coconut sugar
1tsp Chilli flake
20 gram Cucumber-julienne sliced
10 gram Coriander
50 gram Mix salad leaves
1 handful Nuts-chopped
-Preheat the oven to 200 Celsius
-Put the oil, onion, garlic, jackfruit and vegetable stock into the saucepan. Stir gently, then bring it to boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
– Once the jackfruit softens, drain the excess liquid off as much as you can. Then put it back on the hob. Add light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, coconut sugar, tamarind sauce. Gently fold and leave it to simmer for further 8 minutes.
– Drain the excess liquid off then transfer the cooked and seasoned jackfruit flesh onto the baking tray. Sprinkle with the chilli flake and bake for 35-45 minutes. Turn halfway. Once the jackfruit caramelised and dry leave it to rest for a few minutes.
– Soften the Vietnamese rice paper as instructed on the package. (I soaked mine in the water for few minutes)
– Assemble by lay the rice paper first then mixed salad, coriander, cucumber or shredded carrot then cooked jackfruit and chopped nuts. And roll the rice paper as how you like it.
-Enjoy the super fresh Jackfruit Summer Roll as a healthy starter, summer lunch or snacks. Yummmm.
-You can use the jackfruit from the can but make sure that it is in brine or water. If you are lucky you might find the jackfruit that already peeled and destoned from your local oriental supermarket.
– This Jackfruit Summer Roll recipe delivers such an intense flavour. I often eat them with lots and lots of herbs and salad leaves. However, you can enjoy them with sweet chilli sauce or cucumber and red onion relish. Enjoy this Vegan Thai Summer Roll. Happy cooking ??.